Thursday, June 10, 2010

She Works Hard For the Money.

So if you haven't already heard me shouting from the rooftops.... I got the job!

My first day is tomorrow and I'm feeling the usual pre-new experience jitters and excitement. The anticipatory nerves mainly consist of fear that I'll mess up big time and/or do something horrifically embarrassing. Hopefully tomorrow night you won't see "Trader Joe's supermarket engulfed in flames due to new employee" on the eleven o'clock news. The manager told me to show up at nine but didn't say how long the shift would last, and I was too mind-swirly (Is this a word? It should be.) to ask. I'm guessing it'll last seven or eight hours though, which means I need to bring my lunch. Obviously I could buy my meals there considering it's a grocery store, but at least initially want to bring my food in order to avoid any additional anxiety and stressful uncertainty. I feel silly asking this, but do you guys have any portable vegetarian breakfast/lunch/dinner ideas? I don't know if they have a fridge where I could store my food yet but any ideas would be much appreciated. I'll keep you folks posted on how my first day goes and will continue to give you inside scoop of what goes on behind the scenes at TJ's.... 

Thank you lovely folks so much for your feedback related to what I mentioned in my last post. I was really hesitant to talk about it but am glad that I did, because I was so helped by your insightful comments and support. Although I'm proud of how hard I've worked and excited by all the big things on the horizon (It feels like when you're in a rollercoaster creeeeaking upwards before the big drop.) it also feels wrong. For so long I've used my behaviors and body rather than my voice to communicate how I felt. Now on the outside I seem fine. For instance, if someone were to ask my father how I was doing he'd probably say something along the lines of "She's great! I don't see her often but she appears to be doing so much better, just got a new job and is about to go back to school. Now her sister on the other hand..." But I don't feel better. And I am not a fan of when my outside appearance and insides don't match.... Apparently Cher from Clueless and I have much more in common than I thought. 

As if!

Even the interviewer on Wednesday commented "I sense a really positive aura in this [gesturing towards me] general direction." Thing is I felt anything but positive and cheery. Right before the interview I was sitting on the curb and wrote in my journal: I feel so tired and sad, totally defeated. I don't know what to do and can't take this anymore. But as soon as show time began and the curtain went up so to speak I was happy go lucky, all jokes and bright smiles. It sometimes scares me how well I can fool people, switch that "light" off and on. 

So yes, end of my self pitying (?) tangent and on to a new random topic. My family and I have lived in our apartment for ten years. We have seen many tenants come and go, just in the floor above us alone. There were the people who blasted Sesame Street in the dead of night (and no, they did not have children), the family which included a son who enjoyed throwing his toys and half eaten snacks (Rosie ate them) from their upper patio onto ours, and then the Ryan Seacrest lookalike who consistently tossed his cigarette butts onto our patio (..... Rosie ate those too.) 

I don't discriminate against non-foods.

We have new upstairs neighbors and they are possibly the strangest of all. Crazy noises come from their apartment all the time. My sister and I have had many a heated debate over what they could possibly be doing which causes such bizarre sounds and have come to the conclusion that they are: 1.) beating each other, 2.) having carnal sex, 3.) moving furniture, 4.) having sex with furniture, or 5.) all of the above.  Or maybe building a bomb? All I know is that it's super uncomfortable sitting with your mother and sister at the dinner table in awkward silence as mysterious thuds, moans, banging, etc. waft down from the ceiling. I thought things that go bump in the night come from under your bed, not above it!


Questions:
1.) When and what was your last "first?" 
2.) What do you suspect my fellow apartment-livers are doing? Have you ever had a memorable experience with obnoxious or funny neighbors?

9 comments:

  1. Ah first days on the job are always hard - I know I was a jibbering wobbly mess on mine a few weeks back. I know it sounds like a cliche, but it's never as bad as you think it's going to be, and it's surprising how quickly you get into the swing of things. Something that helped me was to plan myself a really nice treat for after my first shift...I think it involved chilling out with a cold drink watching a Disney movie after a long hot soak in the bath?! ;)

    So that was probably my last 'first', although I tried Bakewell tart for the first time last week if that counts?

    As for neighbours, I rarely see them, although in my old flat there were some scary evil old men twins!

    Enjoy the job :-)

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting the job! I can relate to your nerves at the moment, because I am starting my summer job in a a little over a week! It's not new to me or anything, but I'm anxious about it all the same.

    Hmm. My most recent 'first' would have to be the clif bar I ate two days ago. Maple Nut... it was kind of delicious, and I immediately stared to wonder why the hell they seemed so scary to me for so long.

    Sorry you have to deal with such crazy noises from above, that's creepy! I've never really had to experience anything like that, because I've lived in houses rather than apartments my whole life. We did however have a neighbour at one point that built a balcony a few weeks after we put up a fence... It was probably a coincidence, but that doesn't really explain why she would spend most of her day peering into our backyard.
    I suspect your neighbours are most likely doing a combination of two and three. Haha.

    <3 Tat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations :D yay Rachael! Good luck with your first shift.

    My last first...um...haha oh, I had homemade fries for lunch a few days ago, I fried them myself :P I was impressed with myself about that - nothing to do with the oil/calories because I'm okay with all that, but just because I managed to avoid setting the house on fire!

    I think you're right, your apartment people are having sex. Or maybe they are trying to tame a unicorn. That'd probably be pretty noisy too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your job!!! Its totally normal to feel nervous on your first day - even without the added anxieties of ED.

    Portable foodie options - I currently live off bars (uhmm Larabars...to avoid any confusion thurr), almond butter (portable+calorific+less likely to cause reactions in people than PB), and biig amounts of food I make on the weekend, freeze, then stash in tupperwear. Oh, and homemade oatmeal mixes. Basically, rolled oats+cinnamon+nuts+dried fruit+a yoghurt+plastic bag.

    Oh, man. I remember living in an aparatment with some of the WIERDEST people upstairs. My dad used to work REALLY long hours and these people were on welfare and were up at all hours of the night with their KIDS playing, legit, BASKETBALL in their apartment. Oi :\ I suspect your neighbours are taming some circus animals for their next performance coming up...OBV.

    izzyy
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey hey thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog! I'll definitely be posting a lot more now that I'm on my deathbed...just kidding...but let's pretend I'm on my deathbed cause that way people spoil me more :)

    HAHA to the neighbors - ahh, you know, when you're in college, hearing your neighbors do the deed is not a strange thing, not at all...

    good luck on your new job!

    ahah - I love that you brought up Cher - Clueless is just classic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I barely comment, but always read :). I'm in school, and have sports, so there have been times I've needed to pack in 1000+ calories without a fridge. Peanut butter/nut butter sandwiches are amazing! With some high calorie bread, a banana, and honey? So good. Trail mix is great, so you can have some while you work, and of course bars, Clifs are amazing.

    My last first was my first time sneaking out of school at lunchtime to drive downtown for lunch, and I got a cookie! I could've gotten in soo much trouble, but ehh, it was worth it!

    Lmao about the neighbors...I once had a counselor at sleepaway camp who had sex in the bed next to me....ahh so awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congradulations! I hope you enjoy the job! If it were me, I wouldn't worry about taking food the first day. You might not be there as long as you think, since you just started. And even it you are, it is a grocery store, and I'm sure other workers buy there lunch's there as well.

    Your neighbors are most definetly having crazy sex! There's some freaks out there!

    <3 Tori

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahahah i love that last note about the sex. so freaking adorable :] congrats on the job! wow, i would adore to work at TJs. good discounts on awesomeeee food :] and on the bringing the lunch thing, i agree that it would be best for now to spare your anxiety. that being said, wraps are usually a great way to get in a good amount of cals with a short amount of time and you can add loads of vegetarian things (tofu, veggie burgers, tempeh) into them! i make them almost daily for lunch at school :]
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats on the job! It sounds like a great fit :)

    ReplyDelete