Friday, June 11, 2010

Whistle While You Work.

This post may be extremely boring, but I really want to chronicle my first day for memory's sake. This week I'm training as a crew member and next week will be focused on the art/sign part, because ideally they want me to work both in the creative design team and the general crew department. One day down and it was in.tense.


The next time you are at Trader Joe's, go up to one of the employees and give him/her a giant hug (actually don't, because it would probably freak them out and result in you being kicked out of the store).... because they work hard. Over the course of my eight hour shift (not counting breaks) I was on my feet and super busy the entire time. A weird side effect of needing to constantly remain focused on the task at hand was that I didn't really think about my body or eating disorder the whole time. Okay, that's an exaggeration. I had those thoughts quite a bit but compared to how much I'm usually obsessing over these things (every single second 24/7) it was a lot less. It was very weird to literally have no room in my brain for those thoughts because I was so busy concentrating on learning how to use a dolly two wheeler without wrenching out my back. But between reading hours worth of paperwork, filling out forms, touring the store, getting my locker, bagging at the register, meeting a billion people (none of whose names I remember) and working in the florist department... I just didn't have time to

Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?
This is clearly a trust fund kitty.

Of course when asked to pick what size I wanted to T-shirts in I said the wrong one and was then shocked/confused when they were too big. While telling me about working at Trader Joe's the manager mentioned that for crew morale and bonding about every other week they have a big BBQ that everyone attends, and that everyone is encouraged to try all of the store's foods. They actually have mandatory taste testings for potential new products.... Cue explosion in my brain. I panicked and was seconds away from trying to back out of taking the job. Fight or flight!!!! While obviously I didn't turn down the job, I'm still MAJORLY scared and FREAKING OUT. It seems that working is going to challenge me in more ways than I expected. 

It was funny, but when I was handed a box cutter I almost blurted out "I can't have that!!" It's been a long time since I was trusted with "sharps" like shoelaces and plastic cutlery, let alone trusted with a giant plastic encased razor blade. But times have changed and now I can have my own personal box cutter, plus a belt clip holder thing for it and snazzy wrist guard (both of which I've already lost.... Whoops.) 

Over the course of the day I noticed that I'm way too 1.) critical and hard on myself and 2.) afraid of making a mistake and worried about what others think of me. For example, right before the end of my shift a crew member came running up to the manager asking if I was "the new sign girl" he'd mentioned yesterday. Turns out that there were no other art department people at work and they needed two signs for the boxes of yellow peaches ASAP. Crisis! 


Next thing I knew I was alone in the back room with two big blank sheets of paper. I made the signs (complete with a peach cartoon cheerfully exclaiming "I'm sweet and juicy!") but really wasn't satisfied with the final product. I just keep trying to remember that it was my first day and the whole thing was unexpected, I've had no signage training or experience whatsoever and that I was totally unsupervised and without guidance... Isn't helping very much with the critic yammering away in my brain and self judgement though.

There's one thing I really really need to be mindful of though, and I'm hoping writing it here will help me stay accountable. Two other employees are new with me and I need to focus on myself rather than being competitive in my head with them. I'm already catching myself obsessively comparing after only one day and it's stupid, totally coming from my own insecurities .... Focusing and worrying that they are catching on faster and making less mistakes, more well liked by our co-workers, etc. It's totally unproductive. If anything it's counterproductive. 

Hope isn't too insanely boring for you guys. At this moment I'd just rather blog about today than write in my journal, as it doesn't hurt my wrists as much. .... If only hadn't lost that wrist guard! To those of you who responded to my questions in the last post, thanks so much for the lunch/dinner ideas. It turns out there is a microwave and fridge in the back room and I've written all your ideas down on a list for some inspiration. Keep the suggestions coming, because I could definitely use them! 

Yikes is right.

Day one down, eighty bajillion katrillion *knock on wood* to go!

  • Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions related to the whole food tasting thing?
  • How do you deal with your inner critic AKA the "itty bitty shitty committee" in your brain?
  • Do you ever struggle with comparing? What do you do in order to focus on yourself?
  • And finally, any cool plans for the weekend? ... I'll be at work. ;)

10 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds exhausting! But like you say, you're new, and it's ok to make mistakes. There's so much to learn and remember that it seems overwhelming at first, like information overload!

    Maybe with the tasting thing, speak to a coworker and see what it involves, how it works, then maybe you can make a more informed decision about how to (or not) incorporate it. It's good to challenge yourself, but not to the point where it is overwhelming.

    You cannot compare yourself with others, because everyone has different qualities and experience. Each of you new guys will bring something different to the role, so maybe appreciate this rather than trying to compete?

    My weekend = working gah!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh.. that wasn't boring at all :) I'm so glad you had a successful first day!

    Sorry about the taste testing thing... honestly, my mind would go into panic mode as well. It could be a great challenge though. I'm sure if it is too much for you, you can explain yourself. You won't be fired for not wanting to sample something. I know that forcing such a huge challenge could be good, but I don't think it's necessary if you're not ready.

    ... and about the comparing? Quite frankly they are lucky to have you :) Not too many workers want to be the 'best' worker and spend their shifts in constant comparison mode. Perhaps it's just the recovering anorexics that do... (maybe we should start a career centre or something?) Anyway, I don't have much advice because I struggle with it as well, but try to remember that you all working together and it's not a competition. Something you are extremely good at might be a struggle for one of the other workers.. and vice versa.

    <3 Tat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay girl, I'm so glad you've gotten this job! I know it seems terrifying to start eating spontaneously for the first time, but I PROMISE you it gets easier. Nowadays I don't even think twice about having little nibbles of things throughout the day (esp. samples at TJ's, mmmm). It just takes practice. I'm not suggesting that you go crazy and eat a whole tub of their new cookies at the tastings, but one wouldn't hurt! This job might be the little nudge you need to break some of the ties your ED has put on you.

    Haha, I love the whole paycheck sign! Much love x

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEING BUSY IS SO GOOD when you are trying to keep nasty thoughts out of your brain! Be it ED or anything else. It goes to show how absolutely USELESS ED is...we don't even have time to think about it when we're being productive!

    I'm so proud of you for not backing out on the job because of the food tasting. I'm not surprised you're scared! But personally I believe everything happens for a reason and maybe this job is here to let you move forward from your ED? I say challenge yourself at those BBQs and even though it will be freaky and hard and uncomfortable at first, eventually it will seem like no big deal and you will have made so much progress in recovery :) That is, of course, if you stay strong, which I trust that you will!

    AHH competitiveness. What anorexic/ex-anorexic isn't? I catch myself competing over the dumbest things sometimes...really, not worth your time and energy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't said this yet so.. congrats on getting the job! This is going to so perfect for you because it will allow you to focus on things other than food and will force you to get out of the comfort zone your in. Doing the taste testing will be hard, scary and uncomfortable but I think it's completely necessary. You don't need to sample everything and chow down a box of granola bars, just a little taste here, a little taste there. While your attending those events, look around you and see what everyone else is doing. Chances are that they'll be relaxed and enjoying themselves so try to steal some of their energy.

    Whenever my inner critic starts up with the annoying commentary I kick it to the curb as quickly as possible and replace the bad thoughts with good. It gets easier with time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its difficult not to compare yourself to others but really people will be judging you individually. As long as you do your work and try your best thats what matters, I know at my work if we see that someone is trying that gets points, not if they do x amount more than someone else.
    Sounds like a really busy day just remember to take good care of yourself and dont wear yourself out!
    As for the taste tasting, I would find that scary as well, its a natural feeling when you've struggled with an ed to worry about things like that.
    At my work a woman brought in a box of these weird nut things just for me to try and of course I couldnt say no, I panicked and had all these ed thoughts but I ate some and I lived.
    Give it a go, it might be good for you to branch out of your rigidity with your ed? If something feels to tough you could always say you have intollerances?
    xox
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, well done for coping so well with all of that! What a first day :) Good luck with the rest of your training - the art training sounds like fun, I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on a good, albeit tiring, first day! I've done retail and yes, it can get exhaustinggg. But I would be eternally entertained by all the foods at TJs!!!

    Food tasting - eek. I just went through this the past two weeks at my new job at Starbucks. The first thing I had to sample was an espresso brownie. Straight up - SCARY (for ED). Ultimately, you have to do it, it's your job. But for me anyways, it helped ease the grief ED gives me for having a nibble of something. I guestimated (and TRIED not to OVERestimate) each item's caloric value so as to meet my daily goals. It's the best you can do and really, it DOES get easier : )

    I'm ALWAYS comparing myself with people I see. And I hate it. I think it's an ED thing - it's always body image things. "I want her xx", etc. Another thing I'm getting better with with time : ) Just focus on what makes YOU, on your own, an amazing person.

    Just like you, I'm working my booty off this weekend!
    Hang in there, girl! (and sorry about my longass, stream of conciousness commenting!! :S)

    izzyy
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't find this boring at all -- I love the way you write! It sounds like you're very busy, but in a good way. It's kind of weird when you're so absorbed in something that the thoughts you're used to having in your brain 24/7 are just squeezed out for lack of room... but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it?!

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww sweetie!! it sounds like you had a rough day but it also sounds like it was and is going to be a great experience!! don't let ED waste this opportunity for you. tastes are teeny tiny and i'm sure they will not be that scary -- trader joes is a very healthy store and who knows! maybe you'll find something you like!!
    stay strong sweetie and congrats again on this job!! <3

    ReplyDelete