Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking Back, Looking Ahead.

My mom has been nagging me to go get the H1N1 vaccination because I'm supposedly in the risk category, but I feel really uncertain and ambivalent about it. Usually I go out of my way to avoid the flu, not stand in an endless line for it. Thoughts?

What's the difference between the avian and swine flu?
When you go to the doctor for the avian flu you get tweetment...
And when you go to the doctor for the swine flu you get oinkment!

I have the coolest Christmas present for my dad. It's the card game Kings in a Corner, but a board game. We used to play it whenever he'd visit me in the hospital, partly because it made the fact that we weren't actually talking less awkward. Still, when I saw the ad in a catalogue I was so excited by how perfect it was for him. I was supposed to visit him last night but he had to cancel. A few days ago he got the "swine shot" and is now really sick. Does that mean he has the actual swine flu? Like does he qualify for a "I survived the swine flu" T-shirt or something?

It's the tragedy of loving, you can't love anything more than something you miss. - Jonathan Safran Foer

Sometimes I really miss my Dad. But even when I'm with him that feeling doesn't go away. The daddy I miss doesn't exist anymore. My sister and I were the only people to be semi-carried over from the "before" picture to the "after," and witnessing his reinvention was jarring. It disturbed me to see the ease with which he became an entirely new person after leaving, drastically changing everything about himself from his appearance to the morals and values he'd adhered to so steadfastly in the past.  

When I visit the apartment where he lives with my stepmom I'm surrounded by pictures of him in places I've never visited with people I don't know. Our talks are limited to either finances or insurance and feel like business transactions rather than conversations between a father and his daughter. I sense he is a father in the "provider" aspect but not other characteristics of the stereotypical father role. It's difficult to know what we could talk about. All we have in common is the past, something he is doing his damndest to forget and distance himself from. When I bring up happy memories he quickly changes the subject as if it is dirty or toxic. My dad used to invite me over all the time, when we both knew I was far too entrenched in my ED to accept. He travels a lot with my stepmom and always said how he wished I could join them, that when I was better nothing would make him happier than to bring me along. Now I can go with them, but whenever I bring up traveling both grow evasive or make excuses. It hurts to know I spent so much time feeling guilty and angry, berating myself for being a "terrible daughter"and hurting them when their offers were empty all along. 

Being sick isolated me from the ones I loved, and constant hospitalizations made it easy to ignore how withered the connections I valued had become. While I don't have any resolutions per se for 2010, I'm setting the intention to work on improving my relationships. Maybe my dad has changed, but he is still here and I'm hopeful that we can have a new relationship. Starting with giving him a kickass holiday present. 

I'm wishing each of you fabulous New Year's Eves and the amazing 2010 you deserve. I'm so grateful to have "met" every single one of you. Thank you for providing endless support and inspiration.

16 comments:

  1. Rachael, as much as it may seem - you are not underappreciated, or unloved by your father.
    It's hard for someone on the outside to understand what is going on on the "inside" - as much as he changed, he feels you changed too, and I think he doesn't know what to do about it. His promises to take you places were probably to try and get the Rachael back and out of the shell she had built up around her.
    But like you said, he's changed, but he's still here, and there is still a chance to renew that father/daughter relationship.

    You are worth being loved, cared for and appreciated. 2009, and years before that, may not have been the happiest, but 2010 comes with it the chance to change. The chance to come out of the hole ED dug you in to, the chance to rid yourself of the lifestyle altogehter. It wont be easy, but you have all the strength in the world to overcome this.
    And every step of the way, I'll be with you. I'm so thankful I 'met' you, too.
    Who else would I share my pirate fantasies with!?

    LOVE,
    Eleanor. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your relationship with your father is so difficult. You have every right to feel angry and let down, it's only human. It is unfair that you felt that it was your fault all along because it wasn't - even if things HAD changed after you started to get a little better, you have an illness, eating disorders are not willful choices made by selfish people. I hope you get the chance to reconnect with him one day <3

    I am curious about the pirate thing. I fell in love with a pirate while I was at university in York. Unfortunately he was gay. I know, that's the weirdest combination of sentences ever :P

    Happy new year! A lot can change in 12 months :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish you a happy and healthy new year. i'm sorry you are feeling sad about your dad, but if it really means a lot to you to improve your relationship, i have no doubt you will be able to.

    xoxo
    shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to accept that people DO change -- you've changed, as has your father, so it's only natural that your relationship would be different now. Still, it can be a struggle to try and navigate that... I think it's a wonderful goal that you're willing to try.

    Happy New Years! :)

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad that you feel left behind now that your dad has reinvented himself. I know it's so hard to let go of the way things used to be. I hope you guys can reestablish a relationship that will be healthy and fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, darling! I'm very glad to have "met" you too. :)

    I hope that somehow your relationship with your father will improve. If him and your stepmom would just take you on one of their trips.. I think it would work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i hope you have a happy new year dear! sorry to hear your dad's been distant, don't tell yourself that you're not worthy of his love. you are a wonderful strong daughter!
    i think your goal to improve your relationships is great, i hope to do the same!
    enjoy tonight!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That joke is amazing. Must tell my swine-flu obsessed father!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again for your comment. I was saddened by your story but hopeful at the same time because you are working to improve your relationship with your Dad. I hope 2010 is a great year for you.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Rachael. This post touched me so much. I'm sorry you had to go through all that emotional stress and struggles because of your relationship with your dad. I can't imagine the stuff you've been through.
    I hope this coming new year, you really get to forgive and forget, and maybe start a brand new relationship with your father, unfettered by the past hurts and wounds. I don't think your father underappreciates you. Every father loves his daughter. It's an inevitable trait every parent has. He just doesn't know how to express it, and he's probably distancing himself from guilt and loss as well.

    If you're both uncomfortable with that father-daughter relationship, maybe you guys can just start out as a friendship...without all the expectations for each other as parent-child?

    Regardless, I hope you have a Happy, Blessed, Joyful New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is so real. I can feel the honestly within your words, and it pulls at my heartstrings. I can relate too well to the existence of inevitable scar tissue between relationships. My stepfather and I have been through a whirlwind of emotions, but my eating disorder actually brought us closer together.

    I love the fact that you are so positive despite the obvious stress you are going through. Striving to work on relationships is not something that is readily done, and I have so much faith that you will benefit from your efforts in the upcoming year.

    You are an amazing girl - one of beauty, brains and immense courage. Anyone would be overjoyed to have you as a daughter :) Don't ever think otherwise!

    <3
    Tat

    ReplyDelete
  12. girl you are so honest..but i hope that 2010 is so much better for you! you deserve a good year..hold on and keep having faith..thinking about you gir!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry you're relationship with your father is so difficult my love. It can be hard to watch people change whilst feeling we weren't invited to join them on the journey. But this isn't your fault, and you should bare no guilt for it. Your dad's distance does NOT make you a "terrible daughter" in the slightest, so please don't let your ED tell you that.

    I hope 2010 brings you health and happiness. You deserve everything you could possibly want out of life, and more! This can be the year you reach out and grab it!

    Lots of love <3
    Hannah xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!

    Thanks for your comments, seems like we have both stubborn relatives!

    Sorry for the situation with your dad...Maybe you could show this post to him? Or just tell him you want to be closer :)

    I laughed so hard at 'I survived the H1N1' t-shirt joke...I searched everywhere for a t-shirt like this but no luck :(

    Happy 2010 to you too!
    xoxo
    Vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Rachel,
    This really got me thinking...a similar sort of scenario...but also very different...
    a beautiful post. I think you are so insightful and love reading your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the beautiful comment, I can't tell you how appreciative I am.

    Wishing you a happy, healthy and bright new year, darling. Don't ever forget that you're a rock star.
    <3 rebecca

    ReplyDelete