Hello lovebugs! I've always wanted to call someone a lovebug, but the opportunity never presented itself.
Thank you so SO much for your supportive and caring words yesterday. Countless times throughout the day when I was struggling or getting scared I read them for a little motivation jolt, like a super caffeinated cup of coffee for my courage. You are all so amazing and I'm incredibly glad to have "met" each and every single one of you. Don't be telling yourself, "Oh she's talking about everyone but me." That's what I always think, but it's not true! I know in the past I would have reacted in a very different way just a few months ago, angrily storming into another room to self harm or exercise and leaving the food on the table for my mother to find. But this time was different, and I believe being inspired by your (Yes, you too!) determination and strength played a part in it.

I've been continuing to implement the increase despite the cyclic anxious/angry/terrified thoughts swirling in my head at all times. The hardest part is constantly having this going on inside myself and not without an outlet of some sort (besides blogging) or someone I can talk to. It's difficult to hear people talk about how close they are with their mother and how she is their best friend or biggest support in recovery. While I'm happy for these people, I wish I could have that kind of relationship with my mom too. It makes me sad that not only can I not tell her what's going on, but I can't have her involved in my recovery at all. For so many reasons, not even considering her own disorder and how it plays a part in mine.
Total randomness follows, but whatever. A family in our apartment building gave Rosie this terrifying life-sized stuffed basset hound for Christmas and every morning when I walk into the living room-ish area I think the stuffed animal lying on Rosie's blanket is Rosie. This morning as I entered the room I told myself that I wasn't falling for that whole mind game again... Except the dog lying on the blanket actually was Rosie. And I got totally confused because I thought she was the stuffed animal. Just goes to show how action packed my Sunday has been so far, that this is the highlight of the day.
Rosie resting with her doppelgänger after an exhausting day eating underwear and waging war on the world.
Isn't it creepy looking? I think it's the eyes...
Again, thank you for your support. I don't know what I did to deserve such kindness, but I so appreciate it. I wish there was a way to express my gratitude, like making collages of all the things you "are" from the Essence Game or something. I just might do it, so keep on answering the questions! I hope your weekend is going well and that your Monday isn't too painful.
If I were a _______, I would be...
Holiday- Day of the Dead
Profession- children's book illustrator
Superhero- Poison Ivy
Hairstyle- bun/chignon
Gum- citrus mint
Ice cream flavor- dreamsicle

(source)

haha that i have a dreamsicle tshirt is hilarious! i'm so glad to have "met" you and all the other bloggies too :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you're using the comments you recieve as support and motivation! I'm also glad I'm not the only one who does it ;)
ReplyDeleteIt's really unfortunate that you can't relate to your Mother the way you'd like to - it can put a lot of added stress on you, but the lack of support coming your Mother's way can be and has been made up in other ways, from other sorces. But the strongest of all of these sources has been yourself. Diving head first into this, with no one beside you to "hold your hand", or whatever mothers are supposed to do, shows just how much determination you have, and that, Rachael, is something to be proud about. Wear that pride on your chest, if you want! Just pisses ED off a little more ;)
Holiday - Some Italian one - they have a celebration like every day of the year!
Profession - A professor. Just wanna wear the glasses ;)
Superhero - Captain Planet!
Hairstyle - Layered, choppy, messy.
Gum - This tropical stuff I tried one time.
Ice cream flavor - VANILLA.
By the way, your dog is just too cute... Ahem, monsterous, for words.
LOVE,
Eleanor. xo
I did recovery on my own too, I've always had a difficult relationship with my mum and my dad is clueless, so although they are pleased that I am healthier now they didn't support me while I was gaining weight. I am sorry you're feeling alone in this <3 I know it's not the same as real time support, but you have us to talk to. You are always welcome to email/MSN/send me a message on facebook if you want to talk about anything :)
ReplyDeleteHoliday - Christmas!
Profession - writer or poi teacher
Superhero - someone who can fly!
Hairstyle - curly
Gum - I am not a gum person!
Ice cream flavor - chocolate RICE cream
i'm so sorry you can't share things with your mom, but its okay because you have us bloggies here to support you.
ReplyDeleteyour dog is so adorable :) happy sunday love
xoxo
Holiday- christmas eve
Profession- business owner
Superhero- catwoman
Hairstyle- yoga messy bun
Gum- peppermint
Ice cream flavor- mocha chip
I know what you mean about lack-of-support team...I have a minimal, civil relationship with my mother and that's it. Plus trying to conceal it from new friends so their view of you isn't polluted by ED...bah. Love this blogger community too <3
ReplyDeleteYour basset is so gorgeous! (Both? Heehee ;D)
Holiday - Victoria Day (because it's in May)
Profession - Psychic ;)
Superhero - Captain Underpants
Hairstyle - Waves
Gum - Bubblemint
Ice Cream - Rainbow sorbet/Perils of Prailine
izzyy
xoxoxoxxxxx
rachael, the thing is, you DO deserve the support! you are worth it. you hav ea beautiful heart & are worth every ounce of health.
ReplyDeletei really hope my blog doesn't upset you. i happen to be lucky by having a close relationship wtih my mom but i feel awful if reading my blog triggers you or makes you upset :( i really am here for you and if would love to chat if you want to email me! stay strong, you really can do this beautiful :) i believe in you so much.
holiday- valentines day!!
profession- psychologist
superhero- superwoman
hairstyle- beautiful braid!
gum- orbit sweet mint
ice cream- chocolate chip cookie dough
xoxoo
shelley
hahahah omg that picture of rosie and the stuffed animal is adorable. he is a tad bit scary though =x and i'm glad you were able to stick to your meal plan, despite your anxiety. eventually, this will all get easier. stay strong love! <3
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I love Rosie (the real one, not the slightly realistically-creepy one, although she's cute too.) Anyway, it sounds like we are SO in a similar spot, except you have the whole "professional support" thing going for you.
ReplyDeleteWhile my mom is my biggest fan, she is also one of my biggest triggers, so I can relate a bit on that front. While I know she wants whats best for me, she doesn't even realize that some of her behaviors are the very things that drive me to restrict, overexercise or whatever.
Once I did move out, it got a bit better, in that I at least have a place to escape, but it doesn't solve the real problem. All I can suggest is to do everything in your power NOT to be like her (no offense to your mom.) Kick some major ED-ass, get healthy and get the hell out of there and start truly living YOUR life.
You don't want to be trapped on a bike, oblivious to the struggles of those around you and constantly depleting your body at her age. You don't want to be like that now, and now you have the chance to do something about it for YOU. Each time you want to restrict, remember her pedaling away on that bike. Each time you want to exercise, think about getting your own place, being healthy and MOVING ON.
You can do this, I can do this and we will do this, because we both deserve health and happiness. Because of and in spite of those who my present barriers. In the end, we're the only one who can control our own fate--eat up!
If I were a _______, I would be...
ReplyDeleteHoliday- CHRISTMAS :)
Profession- psychologist
Superhero- superwoman
Hairstyle- down and curly
Gum- sweet mint
Ice cream flavor- cookies n cream
Holy cow.. the similarity is uncanny: no wonder you mistook it for your dog!
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you for standing tall and sticking to your convictions - I know how hard it is to be surrounded by factors that are constantly challenging your efforts. Try to view yourself completely separate from her. You have entirely different needs so there is no need to compare!
Even though it may feel like you are completely on your own, your not. There are people in this world who understand you, and want nothing more than to see you smile :) We can all do this!
xox
Tat
If I were a _______, I would be...
Holiday- Easter
Profession- Starving Artist
Superhero- Catwoman
Hairstyle- Messy Bun
Gum- Peppermint
Ice cream flavor- turtles :D
i totaly thought there was just a realy big eyed dog stairing.. haha turns out its a toy one >.< haha xx
ReplyDeleteI know the feeling of not being able to articulate your fears and worries in front of your Mum: you took the words right out of my mouth (keyboard?) when you mentioned the value of the blogging community as support. I'm here for you!
ReplyDeleteIf I were a _______, I would be...
Holiday- Halloween
Profession- Tortured artist who won't be recognised until they're long dead. (there seem to be a lot of these!)
Superhero- Unfortunately I don't do heroes. Villains? The Penguin.
Hairstyle- Scruffy ponytail.
Gum- No thanks!
Ice cream flavor- chocolate.
I'm sorry, hun, that you have no one to turn to in your recovery. If you ever need to talk/vent, drop me a line and we'll chat :)
ReplyDeleteHoliday - christmas
Profession - writer
Superhero - I prefer the villians... Venom :)
Hairstyle - tousled beach hair
Gum - hubba bubba
Ice cream flavor - mint choco chip
You are SUCH a rock star. Hang in there, hold your head high and keep fighting the good fight--it's worth it, I promise.
ReplyDeletethinking about you
love
bec xo
I never tell my mom about my food/weight concerns or issues. She would just get angry at me. So you're not alone :)
ReplyDeleteHoliday - Christmas!
Profession - Writer
Superhero - Nightcrawler XD
Hairstyle - freestylin' curly
Gum - polar ice
Ice cream flavor - Mint chocolate chip holla
What did you do to deserve such kindness? You've been a beautiful person who has given kindness in return. :)
ReplyDeleteThat stuffed dog is definitely eery.. especially the way it's looking at us while resting a paw on your Rosie.
Holiday - Easter
Profession - Nutritionist
Superhero - Amazingness... I just invented her
Hairstyle - Wavy and free
Gum - Cinnamon
Ice Cream - Chocolate Peanut Butter